What You Don't Know Can Hurt You!
Your gas control and pilot light system has a safety device whose purpose is to shut-off the gas supply to the appliance if the pilot light goes out. If you have trouble lighting the pilot or keeping it lit, it may mean that this safety device is warning you that there is a problem with your system. Inspection and repairs or replacement must be made by a trained gas service technician.
- If you smell gas, DO NOT attempt to light your appliance.
- DO NOT touch electrical switches, or use the phone in your building.
- Leave the building and call your gas supplier. If you cannot reach your gas supplier call the Fire Dept.
- Turn gas supply off at tank
- Never tamper with or use force or tools on the gas control system. If the gas control knob will not operate by hand, the control must be replaced. Repairs must be made only by a trained gas service technician.
Tampering is Dangerous!
The pilot safety system may also not work if you do not follow the lighting instructions carefully or if you tamper with the gas control, particularly with tools, can damage the safety mechanism in the control and can allow gas to leak. This can result in a fire or explosion causing property damage, personal injury or death.
CRITICAL SAFETY POINTS TO REMEMBER
Your gas has been odorized so that you can smell it. Always smell around for gas before lighting your appliance.
- Sniff for LP-gas at floor level. LP-gas is heavier than air and may temporarily exist at floor level.
- If you smell gas, do not attempt to light the pilot. Do not cause a spark by turning on or off electrical switches or appliances or by using the phone. Turn off the gas to the appliances and call your gas supplier from another location.
- If your gas control has gotten wet as the result of flooding or other wetting, it must be replaced immediately by a trained gas service technician. Water can lead to damage of the internal safety mechanism in the gas control and can create a hazardous condition.
IF YOU SMELL GAS, DON'T LIGHT IT.
IF YOU CAN'T LIGHT IT, DON'T FIGHT IT.